Second Generation

3. Elizabeth WILLIAMSON1,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21 was born about 1762. Family folklore says the family came from Virginia. She lived with her parents in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Linn's station in 1781. Father and brother James were massacred by Indians in July 1782 in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Linn's station. 10-year-old brother John was made prisoner by Indians in July 1782 in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Linn's station. She lived in KY, Shelby Co., Tyler's station in 1787. Elizabeth died on 12 January 1827 in KY, Shelby Co.. She was buried in January 1827 in KY, Shelby Co.. She was buried reinterrment 1855 in KY, Franklin Co., Frankfort, Frankfort Cemetery.13 Commended for her heroism and reinterred with her husband. She and Bland Ballard were married just a few months after her father and brother James were massacred and her 10-year-old brother John was taken prisoner. It is possible that at this time, Elizabeth and Bland took in her mother and siblings, as her family had nowhere to stay after the massacre.

It is still not known if Ruth Williamson was her niece or sister. Elizabeth's nephew, John Whitaker Williamson, writes that they were sisters. Ruth's obituary, however, states that Elizabeth was her aunt. Ruth's obituary also states that she stayed with Elizabeth and Bland after Ruth's family was massacred or taken prisoner by Indians.

In letters written by her nephew, John Whitaker Williamson, he states that in 1782, Elizabeth moved from Linn’s Station to Tyler’s Station on Tick Creek in Shelby Co., KY after her marriage. It was there that the Ballard Massacre (her husband’s family) took place.

A different locale and timeline is written in Buffalo Bill Cody's book, "Story of the Wild West." In his version he states, "There was a small settlement at Tyler, composed exclusively of Virginians, among the families being that of Captain Williamson's, a gentleman frequently mentioned in Kentucky history. He had a daughter, Elizabeth, famed throughout the district for her beauty, but no less for her heroic disposition, displayed on more than one occasion, when an attack was threatened by the Indians. Young Ballard fell in love with Miss Williamson, directly after his settlement at Tyler [in 1782], and after a brief courtship the two were married. Soon after this happy consummation of their loves, young Ballard erected a log cabin about half a mile from the stockade that surrounded Tyler and here he settled with his pretty bride..."

The book also gives an example of Elizabeth's bravery, which happened during the Ballard massacre. Her husband "boldly sallied out and made a rush for the woods that were near at hand, bidding his wife to remain in the cabin and to signal him, as occasion offered, the position of the Indians. He moved from tree to tree, always keeping the Indians at such a distance that they could not rush upon him before he could reload his gun after firing, and being an excellent marksman he kept up a kind of running fight around his cabin until he had killed seven of the Indians without receiving any injury himself. During all this time Mrs. Ballard showed the greatest coolness, appearing at the door or window time and again to signal the position of the enemy, and occasionally to speak to her husband as he came within the sound of her voice."

The book also states, "For many years Major Ballard and his heroic wife continued to live in the quiet house so bravely defended by them. He died on his farm...and was buried on the old homestead beside his wife, who had preceded him to the grave many years before. The legislature of Kentucky, in the winter of 1853-54, passed an act to honor the bodies of Major Ballard and his wife, in pursuance of which in the following summer they were taken up and re-interred at a public funeral attended by the members of the legislature and many other prominent persons, in the State cemetery at Frankfort, where they repose beside those of Daniel Boone."

Elizabeth WILLIAMSON and Bland Williams BALLARD were married on 9 September 1782 in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Tyler's station. Bland Williams BALLARD1,12,13,14,15,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35 was born on 16 October 1761 in VA, Spotsylvania Co., Fredericksburg. He was a heroic Kentucky pioneer, Indian fighter, and state legislator. He decided at an early age to protect settlers from Indian attacks. His family removed to KY near the Falls of the Ohio (later Louisville) in 1779.
In 1780 the family moved to Boonesborough, (near later Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY) where Bland's father became "a very intimate companion of Daniel Boone, who secured for him an official appointment in what was known as the spy-guard." Throughout his life, Bland himself was used as a scout and spy in various engagements with Indians and the British.
He served in in Captain John Holder’s Company on 10 June 1779 in KY, Madison Co., near Boonesborough. He served in Col. Bowman's expedition. He served in militia in 1780 in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Linn's station. He was in George Rogers Clark's expedition against the Ohio Shawnee towns of Piqua and Chillicothe and was seriously wounded. Bland served in militia in 1780/1 in KY, Jefferson Co., Louisville, Linn's station. He served in militia as scout for the George Rogers Clark's Chillicothe expedition in August 1782 in OH. In August 1782, Bland was one of the scouts sent to spy on the Ohio Shawnee towns of Piqua and Chillicothe. George Rogers Clark and his forces then attacked. The alarm had been given, however, and Chillicothe abandoned when the force arrived. Clark destroyed the town, burning hundreds of acres of corn before marching on to Piqua. Here the Indians made a stand, although outnumbered three to one. The fighting was heavy, with 20 American casualties to 73 Indians. Using a small cannon, Clark drove the Shawnee from Piqua, confiscating some of the numerous corn supplies and destroying the rest.

He served in militia as scout in George Rogers Clark's second Chillicothe expedition on 4 November 1782 in OH. In November 1782, Clark gathered over a thousand men, including Kentucky militia, at the mouth of the Licking River. Heading for the Ohio Shawnee towns of Piqua and Chillicothe, Clark sent out scouts, including Bland Ballard. He then sent one of his commanders, John Floyd, ahead with 300 men but again, as earlier in August, the alarm had been given. The Indians had fled, with no opposition, leaving their towns and supplies behind. The towns and provisions were then burned, including over 10,000 bushels of corn. After four days spent scouring the surrounding woods, Clark and his army returned home.
Bland served in militia as a captain from 7 September 1785 in KY, Shelby Co.. In the 7 Sep 1785 Jefferson Co., KY court, he was appointed one of the captains of the militia, with Robert Tyler his lieutenant and James Houghland his ensign. It was certified in court that his bill tendered to the State of Virginia for horse hire was reasonable and should be allowed on 6 December 1785 in KY, Jefferson Co.
He served in militia as scout in George Rogers Clark's Northwest Indian Campaign in 1786 in OH. He served in militia between 1787 and 1792 in KY, Shelby Co.. Bland served in the KY militia as scout in Gen. Anthony Wayne's Ohio Campaign, Major Notley Conn's Battalion between 10 July 1794 and 21 in OH. Captain Joshua Baker’s Company consisted of 107 officers and men. Along with his brother-in-law, John Williamson Jr., Bland was "one of the 40 famous spies who changed the course of American history" at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. He received no pension for this battle, however.

Signed a mining agreement on 2 November 1810 in KY, Shelby Co. The agreement reads:
"Know all men by these presents that John Blackburn, Issac Rendfroe, Bland W. Ballard, James Bradshaw, William Renfroe, Chichester Benson; all of the State of Kentucky and counties of Henry, Shelby, Lincoln, and Garrett and Elisha Wallin, John Wallin, and James Renfroe, all of the county of Claibourn, State of Tennessee, vein the penal sum of ten thousand dollars to each other to be levied on our goods & chattells lands & teniments if defalt be found in the condition under written. That is to say whereas the sd John Blackmourn, Issac Rendfroe, Bland W. Ballard, James Bradshaw, Chichester Benson, William Renfro, Elisha Wallin, John Wallin & James Renfro have this day a flattering prospect of obtaining & finding a silver mine sd formerly to be occupied & worked at by a Mr. John Swift together with the Hopes of finding a number of dollars & crowns sd to be Hid by the sd Swift, now if this Company or only part of them Shall be so successful as to find the same we jointly agree and covinant to each other that we will make An Equal Divide and go our Equal Shair in all Profits and Lossis that may occur by venture of the foresaid enterprise and that we will not Directly or Indirectly make known the plan (or place) to any other person or persons whatever without the Consent of three or more of the sd Companeys Consent nor take in any other Person or Persons in any wise whatever except as Shaires in the mine and not in the silver already sd to be bouried and Hid and that we will further make such exertions and no such other things as shall be only and of advantage to the Promoting the intrust and advantage of each other as a Companey in the above mentioned persuit and do further by these presents discontinue all others who have here to fore be a part of sd Companey until sutch times as satisfaction be maid for their conduct in witness whereof we have here unto set our Hands and seals this second day of november 1810.
Judith Renfro
Mary Renfro
John Blackbourn
Issac Renfro
Bland W. Ballard
James Bradshaw
Winchester Benson

Note that the above named James Bradshaw and for the use of his name in the body of the within obligation is done with consent and approbation of us, the undersigned.

Chichester Benson
Bland W. Ballard
John Wallin
James Renfro
He served in militia as a scout/spy at the Battle of Tippecanoe on 7 November 1811 in IN, Tippecanoe Co., Lafayette. He served in militia under General William Henry Harrison, Colonel John Allen between 15 August 1812 and 14 October 1812. He was captain of his own company, the First Rifle Regiment, comprised of his brother-in-law Lieutenant John Williamson Jr. and Ensign John Nash. His company was used as scouts.
Bland served in served in the KY militia at the Battle of Raisin (Maumee) River on 22 January 1813 in MI, Wayne Co., near Detroit. In a letter to his uncle, John Richardson, a participant in the battle, wrote about the American volunteers' appearance, "...[they] had evidently undergone every change of season, and were arrived at the last stage of was the depth of winter, but scarcely an individual was in possession of a greatcoat or cloak, and few of them wore garments of wool of any description. They still retained their summer dress, consisting of cotton stuff of various colors, shaped into frocks, and descending to the knee; their trousers were of the same material. They were covered with slouched hats worn bare by constant use, beneath which their long hair fell matted and uncombed over their cheeks; and these together with the dirty blankets wrapped around their loins...and fastened by broad leathern belts into which were thrust axes and knives of an enormous length, gave them an air of wildness and savageness..."

Was wounded on 21 Jan 1813. Was again shot, this time severely, in the hip, on 22 Jan, and taken prisoner. The prisoners were first marched to Fort Malden (Amhurstberg), which was near the mouth of the Detroit River in Essex Co., Ontario, Canada.. From a journal written by one of the American prisoners: "...the other prisoners were treated very inhumanely. The first night, they were put in a wood-yard; the rain commenced early in the night, and put out all their fires. In this manner they passed a tedious night, wet, and benumbed with cold. From this place they were taken to a cold warehouse, still deprived of fire, with their clothes and blankets frozen, and nothing to eat but a little bread. In this wretched condition they continued two days and three nights!"

Managed to escape and make his way back to Kentucky. From the "History of Franklin County, Kentucky": "After the slaughter, the few men who returned straggled in one at a June. ...Ballard's was the only county in Kentucky which was named after a survivor of the massacre..."

It is presumed, but not proven, that he traveled into Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, and from there to Kentucky by the Ohio River.

His brother-in-law John Williamson was captured and burnt at the stake by the Indians in the same battle. He received a gunshot wound in the hip during the River Raisin battle on 22 January 1813 in MI, Wayne Co., near Detroit. He suffered from the effects of this wound for the rest of his life. He died on 5 September 1853 in KY, Shelby Co.. Bland was buried in September 1853 in KY, Shelby Co.. In 1855 he was re-interred from in KY, Franklin Co., Frankfort, Frankfort Cemetery to in KY, Franklin Co., Frankfort, Frankfort Cemetery.

In the fall of 1787 he moved his family from Linn’s station to Tyler’s station on Tick Creek in (the future) Shelby Co., KY. On March 31, 1788 he was a survivor of the Tick Creek (Ballard) Massacre in which his father, stepmother, two brothers, and a half-sister were killed.

In 1789 was shown on the tax records for Jefferson Co., KY as having "4 horses and cattle", but no slaves.

In 1795 was shown on the Shelby Co., KY tax records as having 0 slaves, 3 horses and 20 cattle, plus 100 acres on Bullskin watercourse. At the same time he was shown as having the following property in Jefferson Co., KY: 600 acres on Pond Creek, 325 acres on Pond Creek, and 325 acres on Harrod's Creek.

In November 1810, he signed a pact with 8 other men to search for the famous lost silver mine of John Smith in Kentucky. If the mine was found, the pact spelled out the distribution of the money. The mine was never found.

Elected to the KY General Assembly in 1800, 1803, and 1805.

Mentioned in a Louisville, KY newspaper on 15 Dec 1827:
"Shelby Co.: A meeting was held at Shelbyville on Nov. 19. Correspondence committee: Major B. W. Ballard."

Ballard Co., KY was named in his honor in 1842, as were many towns.

His middle name was taken from his mother's maiden name.

The Bland Ballard name has continued down the Williamson and related family lines in the context of "Bland", "Blan", and "Bladen".

Elizabeth WILLIAMSON and Bland Williams BALLARD had the following children:









Sarah "Sally" BALLARD.



Mary "Polly" BALLARD.






Dorothy G. "Dolly" BALLARD.



Martha Ann "Patsy" BALLARD.